UPDATE: Fortnite developer Epic Games has delayed the release of update 24.40 until May 17. In a post on Twitter, Epic said: “We will now be targeting May 17th for the release of v24.40 alongside the newly announced Ranked. We’ll provide another update with details about v24.40’s expected downtime as we have it.” Based on the tweet, the update has likely been delayed in order for Epic to iron out ant last-minute issues with Ranked Play. Express Online will update this article when the official timings are revealed.
ORIGINAL: Fortnite fans are counting down to the release of update 24.40 on PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch and Android. The new Fortnite update is expected to have a May 16 release date on all platforms. Needless to say, Fortnite update 24.40 will launch alongside a period of server downtime, which is likely to begin when the game is taken offline at 8am BST UK time. Matchmaking will be disabled shortly beforehand. The new update introduces the brand new Ranked Mode, which will be playable in Zero Build and Battle Royale.
Ranked Play gives players the opportunity to climb from Bronze to Unreal level by winning games, match placement and eliminating opponents.
It all begins with Season Zero on May 16, which serves as a beta of sorts. Ranked Play Season Zero lasts until the end of Battle Royale Chapter 4, Season 3 – at which point it will be replaced by the official launch.
Epic explains more: “Your starting Battle Royale rank and Zero Build rank in Season Zero will be based on your past match performance, as well as your performance in your first Ranked Battle Royale and Ranked Zero Build match.
“For Battle Royale and Zero Build, you’ll only need to play one Ranked match to have your rank revealed.”
In addition to Ranked Play, Fortnite update 24.40 is expected to feature a Spider-Verse crossover, including new skins and items.
As Fortnite insider Shiina points out, additional cosmetics will also be leaked, not to mention the possibility of an end of season event.
Elsewhere, Arena mode will be disabled forever, and there’s a good chance a new weapon or item will be added to the game.
According to the update 24.40 patch notes, the game will make a variety of balance changes and bug fixes.
You can see the Fortnite update 24.40 patch notes below…
Fortnite update 24.40 patch notes…
• Material caps will be decreased from 999 to 500.
• Harvesting rates will be slightly increased.
• Players will drop 50 of each material when they are eliminated.
GENERAL BUG FIXES:
• Multiple outfits may appear shiny/glossy
– Multiple outfits, including Bunny Brawler, Rust Lord and Elite Agent may appear shiny/glossy.
• Back Blings appear to float detached when equipped with the Clone Trooper outfit
– When using the Clone Trooper outfit, Back Blings may appear to float detached.
• Clone Trooper head movement appears static
– When using the Clone Trooper outfit players may notice that the head movement is more static than intended
BATTLE ROYALE BUG FIXES:
• Large Rocks on the Battle Royale Island are not providing as many materials when Harvested compared before v24.20.
– We’re aware of reports that Large Rocks on the Battle Royale Island are not providing as many materials when Harvested compared before v24.20.
• Players swinging with ODM Gear may find themselves unable to enter build mode.
– We’re aware of an issue where players swinging with ODM Gear may find themselves unable to enter build mode.
MOBILE AND CLOUD BUG FIXES:
• The Cobra DMR’s scope may not display correctly
– When looking through the scope of the Cobra DMR players may find the view is cut off.