Phillip Schofield quits This Morning after Holly Willoughby ‘feud’ – live

Watch Phillip Schofield’s final sign off from This Morning

Phillip Schofield will step down from This Morning with “immediate effect” after more than 20 years on the ITV programme, the broadcaster has announced.

The 61-year-old TV presenter will not return to co-host the morning talk show with Holly Willoughby, with last Thursday’s show being his last.

Willoughby will remain on the show and will “co-present with members of the This Morning family”, ITV said.

His departure comes amid reports of a rift between Schofield and Willoughby, and after his brother, Timothy Schofield, was sentenced to 12 years in jail on Friday, after being convicted of child sex offences.

Schofield said: “I have always been proud to cover fascinating stories on This Morning. But, recently, This Morning itself has become the story.

Follow for more updates.

1684600801

Holly Willoughby shares statement as Phillip Schofield steps down from This Morning

While Schofield announced that he had quit This Morning with immediate effect, Willoughby shared her own statement.

“It’s been over 13 great years presenting This Morning with Phil and I want to take this opportunity to thank him for all of his knowledge, his experience and his humour,” she said.

“The sofa won’t feel the same without him.”

Isobel Lewis20 May 2023 17:40

1684599601

Watch: Phillip Schofield gives Holly Willoughby awkward goodbye kiss days before quitting show

After reports of tension between Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby emerged last week, This Morning viewers have been tuning into ITV closely for awkward moments between the pair.

One such exchange came during Wednesday’s show (17 May) – now known to be Schofield’s penultimate episode – as the pair kissed goodbye.

Willoughby left the episode 30 minutes early to meet King Charles III, leaving Phillip to “hold the fort”.

Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield share awkward kiss amid feud rumours

Isobel Lewis20 May 2023 17:20

1684598401

Ulrika Jonsson calls rumoured Schofield-Willoughby fall-out ‘a war of the egos’

Hours before Schofield announced that he was leaving This Morning, fellow presenter Ulrika Jonsson offered up her own thoughts on the matter.

“Daytime TV is a lively, narcissistic melting pot of ego, vanity, hierarchy and domination,” Jonsson wrote in her column in The Sun.

“Holly and Phil have forgotten about their audience and appointed themselves the stars of the show, which has made them bigger than the programme… Perhaps this really is the end of the road for Holly and Phil.”

Isobel Lewis20 May 2023 17:00

1684597201

ITV boss calls Schofield ‘one of the best broadcasters of his generation’

Announcing Schofield’s departure, ITV’s managing director of media and entertainment praised the presenter for his work on This Morning.

“Phillip is hands down one of the best broadcasters of his generation and we thank him for his two decades worth of absolutely terrific television on the This Morning sofa,” he said.

This Morning is made by one of the best and most diligent teams in television, who produce over 12 hours of live television each week.”

Lygo added: “We look forward to continuing our relationship with Phillip starting with The British Soap Awards in June and a brand new peak time series to come.

Isobel Lewis20 May 2023 16:40

1684595921

Will Phillip Schofield still present on ITV?

While Phillip Schofield is leaving This Morning, his future at ITV remains bright.

In their statement, ITV said that the presenter will continue to host peak time shows for ITV, including the British Soap Awards next month and a new prime time series.

It is not known whether Schofield will remain at the helm of Dancing on Ice, which he currently co-hosts with Holly Willoughby.

Isobel Lewis20 May 2023 16:18

1684594976

Schofield’s statement in full

Here is the full statement released by Phillip Schofield when he announced he was quitting This Morning:

“I have always been proud to cover fascinating stories on This Morning. But recently, This Morning itself has become the story.

“Throughout my career in TV – including the very difficult last few days – I have always done my best to be honourable and kind.

“So I have agreed to step down from This Morning with immediate effect, in the hope that the show can move forward to a bright future.

“I’d like to thank everyone who has supported me – especially This Morning’s amazing viewers – and I’ll see you all for the Soap Awards next month.”

Matt Mathers20 May 2023 16:02

1684594701

Holly and Phil’s funniest This Morning moments as Schofield quits show

Following Schofield’s announcement, here we take a look back at some of Holly and Phil’s funniest moments together.

Holly and Phil’s funniest This Morning moments as Schofield quits show

Phillip Schofield has quit his role on This Morning after 21 years as host. The TV presenter, 61, steps down following reports of a “feud” with his co-host Holly Willoughby. “Throughout my career in TV – including the very difficult last few days – I have always done my best to be honourable and kind,” Schofield’s statement, released on Saturday 20 May, said. “I understand that ITV has decided the current situation can’t go on, and I want to do what I can to protect the show that I love. “I have agreed to step down from This Morning with immediate effect, in the hope that the show can move forward to a bright future.” Following Schofield’s announcement, take a look back at some of Holly and Phil’s funniest moments together. Click here to sign up for our newsletters.

Matt Mathers20 May 2023 15:58

1684594606

Watch: Phillip Schofield’s final sign off from This Morning before quitting show

Watch Phillip Schofield’s final sign off from This Morning before quitting show

Matt Mathers20 May 2023 15:56

1684594544

What we know about Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield ‘fall-out’

His last time presenting the ITV programme was on Thursday 18 May, bringing his presenting role of 21 years to a sudden close.

Earlier this week, it was reported that the This Morning co-hosts’ relationship is strained, and that they “barely speak” off camera.

Jacob Stolworth takes a closer look at the reported feud:

Matt Mathers20 May 2023 15:55

1684594105

Phillip Schofield quits This Morning with immediate effect: ‘ITV have decided the situation can’t go on’

In a rare statement, Schofield acknowledged that “the last few weeks haven’t been easy”, but said that he and Willoughby were still “the best of friends”.

Matt Mathers20 May 2023 15:48